About Wintergreen & Stoney Creek
A World-Famous Resort in the Blue Ridge Mountains
There's nothing better than breathing in the fresh mountain air, exploring the waterfalls and winding trails, relaxing at the award-winning spa, and creating unforgettable memories with the ones you love. You'll love owning a second home, investment property, or primary home at Virginia's premier four-seasons resort.
Wintergreen and its valley community of Stoney Creek are nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains just 30 minutes from Charlottesville, the University of Virginia, and Lynchburg. This amazing Blue Ridge Mountain paradise encompasses over 11,000 acres and spans elevations of only 700 feet in the valley of Stoney Creek to nearly 4,000 feet atop Devils Knob on Wintergreen Mountain. Whether your idea of "fun" is enjoying a Swedish massage, skiing on fresh powder, perfecting your golf swing, or plunging down a hill on an innertube, you'll find plenty of things to do at Wintergreen Resort.
A Quick Guide to Wintergreen Resort
Searching for a Home or Condo?
People Love This Virginia Resort
We know you'll love calling Wintergreen your "home away from home," but you don't have to take our word for it. Countless publications, polls, and even The Coolest Places on Earth TV show consider Wintergreen Resort one of the best resorts in the country! Get a glimpse at the year-round fun and excitement by watching the video below.
Wintergreen has received plenty of positive press for its four-season amenities, incredible views, peaceful rural location, and easy access to the culture and amenities of nearby Charlottesville and Lynchburg. Here are just a few of the recent accolades Wintergreen Resort has received for its tennis programs, golfing activities, and more.
Top-rated Tennis Programs
- 2015 Gold Medal Resort award by Tennis Resorts Online
- 2014 #1 Resort for Families by Tennis Magazine
- 2008-2012 Top 100 Tennis Resorts & Camps by Tennis Resorts Online — Wintergreen Resort listed in the top 25
- 1990-2010 “Top 50 Tennis Resorts” by Tennis Magazine
A Prime Golfing Destination
- 2013 Best Golf Resort - Platinum award by Blue Ridge Country Magazine
- 2008 GOLF Magazine Best Courses Near You — Stoney Creek as #9 for Virginia
- Best Community When Skiing is as Important as Golf awarded by Mountain Homes (at Wintergreen, you can play golf and ski on the same day!)
- Golf World Readers' Choice Awards for Virginia
Highly Rated Snow Skiing
- 2013 Best Terrain Park and 2nd Best Place to Learn to Ski by Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine
- 2013 Best Ski Resort - Platinum award by Blue Ridge Country Magazine
- 2012 Charlottesville Welcome Awards — Gold Award for Ski Resort
- 2011 Charlottesville Welcome Awards — #1 Ski Resort and #3 Resort
- 2010-2011 Outstanding Large Alpine Patrol Award for Wintergreen Ski Patrol by National Ski Patrol
- 2009 "Best Snow Skiing Spot" in the Washington Post's Express Best of 2009
- 2008 Best of Lovingston Award in the Ski Centers & Resorts category by the U.S. Local Business Association (USLBA)
- "Best Ski Resort" in the WashingtonPost.com Annual Readers' Choice Awards
- "Top Ten Ski Resorts" by Skiresorts.com, the ultimate guide to ski resorts
- Best Youth Safety Program award from the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA)
Overall Best Resort
- 2014 Best Virginia Hotels #32 by U.S. News & World Report
- 2013 Best Couples Getaway Lodging - Silver award by Blue Ridge Country Magazine
- 2012 Certificate of Excellence by TripAdvisor
- 2012 Best Resort in Central Virginia by Virginia Living Magazine
- 2009-2010 Gold Award for “Favorite Local Resort” by Albemarle Family
- 2008 OnTheSnow.com Visitors Choice Award for one of North America's Favorite Resorts
- Ranked #6 as Snoweast Magazine readers' favorite Eastern resort (Wintergreen Resort is the only mid-Atlantic resort to make it into the top 10)
Other Noteworthy Awards
- Featured among the "Coolest Mountain Escapes" on The Coolest Places on Earth TV show
- 2014 Best Reception Location, Best Holiday Celebrations, Best Spa, Best Musical Event, and Best Non-Profit by The Piedmont Virginian
- 2013 Best Gated Community - Silver award by Blue Ridge Country Magazine
- 2013 Best Zipline - Platinum award by Blue Ridge Country Magazine
- 2013 Best Spa - Gold award by Blue Ridge Country Magazine
- 2013 Best 4th of July Destination - Platinum award by Blue Ridge Country Magazine
- 2013 tied for Best Place for Multi-Gen Vacation - Silver award by Blue Ridge Country Magazine
- 1998 Society of American Travel Writers Phoenix Award
- 1987 National Environmental Achievement Award
- Honorable Mentions for Best Year-Round Resort, Overall Favorite Resort, Visit Most Often, and Best Food by DCSki.com readers
Ready to Call Wintergreen Your Home Away from Home?
Spend some time learning about the lifestyle available to those who call Wintergreen their home away from home — as well as their home sweet home. We offer dozens of resources to help you explore all your Wintergreen real estate options, find your favorite property, and understand the home buying process.
We're more than happy to talk with you about Wintergreen real estate and take you to see available homes and condos. Contact us if you'd like to know more about living at Wintergreen Resort or the Stoney Creek valley community.